JUNE is here!
Happy June! As our scholars continue to participate in school-wide events, field trips and more, it is vital that they wear their SCHOOL UNIFORMS every day including Fridays. If you are in need of a school uniform t-shirt, please reach out to Mrs. Gibson. We will be monitoring this very closely. In addition, as indicated in the Family Scholar handbook, open toe sandals and flip flips are not appropriate forms of footwear for scholars, due to the risk of injury.
We have reached the end of the school year but we are not slowing down! Every class is in the midst of completing end of year assessments and engaging in Project Based Learning (PBL). PBL is a student-centered style of teaching that helps students acquire a deeper knowledge through active exploration of real-world challenges and problems. We are planning to have a SHARE FAIR of the scholars’ PBL projects on two dates. On 6/16 from 9:00-11:00, grades K-2 will share their projects in the Dance Studio. On 6/23 from 9:00-11:30, grades 3-5 will share their projects in the dance studio as well. Families are invited to attend. Here are the topics:
Technology: Friend or Foe, Solving problems to improve our daily lives and What’s in your lunchbox?
First grade Topic-
Flowers versus Vegetables
Second grade Topic-
Taking care of our school building
Third grade Topics-
Egypt, then and now, China-combating Asian hate and Addressing neighborhood concerns through Spoken word
Fourth grade Topic-
Fifth grade Topics-
Entrepreneurship, Social Issues and Social change
CONGRATULATIONS to those scholars who have maintained at least a 90% attendance rate for this school year. Our attendance team has worked incredibly hard with families to ensure that scholars are in school every day and on time. Right now, every grade (with the exception of 3K/Pre-K) is at 90%. Very soon, I will be sending out special invitations to scholars with 100% attendance to see a Broadway show on June 14. In addition, I will be sending out letters to selected families regarding the Success for All Summer program for scholars in grades K-2. Mrs. Gibson has started a wait list of interested families for the K-2 summer program. Please be reminded that space is limited. Reach out to Mrs. Gibson or me for further information.
We hope that you can attend one or both of our upcoming PBL sessions! In addition, here are other important dates to remember:
- June 7th- Kindergarten- Family& Staff Outing to Sesame Place
- June 8th and 9th- Scholars are not in attendance (Chancellor’s Conference Day/ Clerical Day)
- June 12th-15th- Classroom Awards Week (Please see the Family Calendar for more details)
- June 14th- Meet the Admin Team 4-4:30 & Meet the Teachers 4:30-6:00 (Virtual sessions- More details to follow)
- June 15th- Dads and Donuts Father’s Day Celebration at 9:00
- June 15th- Studio in a School FAMILY ART NIGHT 3:15
- June 15th- PTA Elections & Honor Society Celebration- Vote for your next PTA officers. Then remain on the call as we celebrate our Gold, Silver and Bronze Honor Society inductees.
- June 16th- 5th grade graduation
- June 19th- Juneteenth- No School
- June 21st- 3K Stepping Up- 9:00
- June 22nd- Kindergarten Stepping Up- 9:30
- June 23rd- Pre-K Stepping Up- 9:30
- June 26th- Dance Festival & Carnival- Families are invited
- June 27th- Last day of school & Bubble Farewell
We have had an incredible year of learning! Thank you parents for volunteering, donating, attending school wide events, logging on to parent meetings, chaperoning field trips and so much more! Your partnership means the world to us!
Thank you for choosing Brooklyn Landmark Elementary School and for entrusting all of us at BLES with your most precious treasures every day. It has been our honor to work with you and your children during the 22-23 school year. I wish you all a very happy, healthy and safe summer vacation! Please remember that I will be working at the school if you need me.
The 23-24 school year calendar can be viewed here. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23832988-school-year-2023-24-calendar